The ‘Clean Beach’ is a project based in Marzamemi, Sicily. Over the years regular beach cleaning has been done to collect and remove rubbish from the beaches; mainly washed up with the tide and mainly plastics from the sea. These beach cleans have, until recently, been carried out by one or two people.
Since April 2018 we have been organising larger ones with local communities.
The project’s aims and objectives include:
- More regular, organised, community Beach Cleans
- School Educational Events to discuss the impact on local beaches and seas from plastics in the oceans
- Encourage more local people to do Mini Beach Cleans and share their findings
- To do art installations using plastics found washed up on local beaches to raise awareness
- To sort and record what is collected and then to clean it to use for Schools Educational Visits
To ensure that all volunteers can have access to the right equipment, we need to purchase Litter Picking Equipment, Gloves, Jackets and a Camera for recording what is found.
Everything we collect is sorted, recorded and cleaned for Educational and Art Activities to raise awareness of the impact of Single Use Plastics on our beaches and the sea.
Thank you very much for taking the time to read about our initiative. Supporting the Clean Beach Project will enable us to have all the equipment to carry out regular Community Beach Cleans.
La Casa Dei Girasoli